Recently we showed you how to get started in Growth Panel if you’re looking for a solution to an immediate business challenge.
Today we’re going to outline how to get started managing an existing marketing project.
Growth Panel delivers a complete marketing project management module in the Projects section. From here you can set tasks, goals and milestones; assign tasks to team members; download, upload and share exercises from the Library, including your own files; import marketing plans and collaborate with your team.
Create Your Marketing Project
The first step is creating your marketing project. From the Projects section main screen, click the Add a New Project link on the right and enter your project details in the new window. You can enter detail in all of the fields, or simply add your project name and fill in the details later.
The Project Details fields include:
- Project Name (Required)
- Client: This field defaults to Internal, which refers to a project for your own company. If your project is for a client, the clients you’ve added to your Client List from the main Projects screen will display in the dropdown list. You also have the option to add your client here.
- Project Status: This field defaults to In Progress. When you complete your project, you can change this to Completed to archive your project.
- Start Date: Select a date using the calendar widget.
- Target Date: Use this field as you wish. You can enter a projected completion date or leave it blank.
- Project Description: Describe your project here.
- Notes: Add any additional information here.
After you select Save, the Project Details window will close, and your project will be listed as a line item on the main Projects section screen. You can sort all your projects here by clicking on the column headers to sort up or down, or by clicking on the right of the column header tab to change or filter your column view.
Note that the red X on the right allows you to delete your project, but we’re here to work, so click the project name link to dive in.
Project Details View
The Project Details view is where you’ll create and manage the activities of your project. This view contains three panels:
- Project Details description panel to the left. You can close this using the << icon on the right of it if you wish.
- Activities panel in the center.
- Specialized panel views on the right. You can open these by clicking on the icons in the right-hand navigation, and close them by clicking on the X in the upper right of the open panel. Panel options here include:
Project Calendar panel
Project Plans panel
Exercises History panel
Project Files activity panel
Project Comments panel
To get started, create an activity. You can create a Task, a Milestone or a Goal by selecting these options on the activity header bar. Activities are defined as follows:
- Tasks are defined as work to be completed.
- Milestones are markers at a given point in a progression. For example, if you’d like to launch a new campaign by the time you’ve completed five tasks, the campaign launch could be your milestone. Your tasks would be the activities needed to execute the launch.
- A Goal is something you’d like to achieve.
You have the option to link tasks to milestones; otherwise, they’re all independent. Growth Panel doesn’t bog you down with complicated dependencies or Gantt charts.
Tasks are the most frequently used activity and contain the most detail, so let’s review tasks. When you create a task, you can enter the following information:
- Task Name
- Target Date
- % Complete: Currently this is for your reference only. We plan to add an option for reporting in the future.
- Hours Required: Currently this is for your reference only. We plan to add an option for reporting in the future.
- Assigned To: If you’ve added team members from the My Account section, their names will appear here.
- Attach to Milestone: You have the option to embed your task into a milestone.
Note that the Milestone and Goals are added using the same basic steps just described.
Viewing Details and Downloading Files
After you save your task, it will appear as a line item in the Activities panel of the Project Details view. Click on your task name to open your Task Details window to make any changes.
Click on the black + icon to the right of your task name to expand your task in this screen to display additional information. This opens a view to your task notes while also displaying any exercises or files you’ve attached to your task.
You can download and upload documents right here in the Task Details window. To attach a document to your task, click on the Attach File icon on the right (green arrow over white paper).
If you’d like to set an exercise as a task, navigate to your library from the main tabs. When you download an exercise from the library, you have the option of attaching it to any project you’ve already created. Then you can access it from within your project.
Any activities and comments you’ve created in your Project Details view will display here, as well as on your Dashboard.
As you complete your tasks, you can upload finished files here and set your tasks at 100% complete. Use this option if you’d like to archive your project so you can access these files at a later date.
You can delete any activity by clicking the red X in the Actions column. When you delete any activity (or any project, for that matter), everything attached to it is also deleted: notes, exercises and files. It’s up to you to decide how to manage your projects.
Stay tuned. Next we’ll show you how to import a plan with tasks and milestones already created for you.